Ways to manage stress
Ways to Manage Stress page updated 03-26-2020 by Lucrezia Mangione, LCPC, NCC, BC-TMH, DCEP
Drink the Sun Exercise
These 2 exercises are a creative and a natural way to relax. It's
one of the many ways to manage stress. Interestingly, it may also be
energizing. Why? These exercises use the sun. The sun can be both
relaxing and energizing for you.
And all of this comes with a
plus: the sun naturally supplies your body with vitamin D. This vital
vitamin is critical for your bones’ health and their creation of
calcium. And it also supports the healthy function of your gorgeous
heart, your blood’s clotting ability, your protective immune system and
your nifty nervous system. The sun is one hot source of good health.
focus of these exercises is on the sun and it's effect upon you, your
body, your mind, heart and spirit. These are opportunities in which you
may notice your inner physiological shifts and experience your own
de-stressing facilitated by the glorious Sun. It's very nourishing and
beneficial for your mind and body, heart and spirit.
This exercise can be done indoors or out.
- Take your personal self-care steps to ensure proper sun protection and avoid overexposure to the sun.
- Find a place to sit, stand or lie down in a comfortable way where you can have 5-20 minutes of safe exposure to the sun.
- Sunrise or Sunset times are lovely, too. Find out the times and pick good location for viewing. Be at that location and settled in 5 minutes before the sun rises or sets.
Here's how you do it
Ways to manage stress #1: Sip the Sunrise or Sunset Exercise in 5 minutes
- Look at the horizon. See the color of the air. Be present and witnessing.
- Listen to the sounds of the environment. Hear your breathing. Be in the moment.
- Feel the space around you. Feel your breathing. Be in the movement.
- Sense the ground under your feet. Feel the earth turn. Be in the motion.
- Experience with your senses the sun's slow surfacing.
- Breathe in the first rays as they spill over the lip of our earth.
- Drink in the sun light through your skin.
- Fill yourself up.
- Experience this moment.
- Do this until the sun fully rises and shines or sets and sleeps in order to make a new day.
Looking for a good-fit? It's
important to work with the right counselor and/or neurofeedback trainer for you. Call for 10-minute no-charge chat to explore & ask questions: Schedule today
Crisis Emergency Numbers
Need help now, 24/7?
- ANYWHERE IN U.S.:
- 911 or nearest emergency room or
- 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) or 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE) or
- Veterans: 1-800-273-8255 & Press 1 or Text: 838255 or TTY 1-800-799-4889 or
- LGBT Youth Suicide: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
- CT LOCAL SERVICES:
- 1-866-794-0021: Crisis Intervention Team, Oxford
- 1-203-736-2601: Crisis Intervention Team, Oxford
- CT Crisis Services Listing Link
- MD & VA, DMV SERVICES:
- 240-777-4000: Crisis Hotline, Montgomery County, MD
- 800-422-0009: Maryland state-wide Crisis Hotline
- 703-527-4077: DC-Metro Area
- Virginia Suicide Hotlines Listing Link
Ways to manage stress #2: Drink the Sun in 20 minutes
- Take a few slow, deep complete natural breaths:
calm and center yourself.
- Close your eyes if you are comfortable doing
so. Keep them open and unfocused towards the ground if you are not.
your attention to the sunlight touching your skin. Whether your skin
is exposed or you feel the warmth through your clothes, pull all of your
attention to where you feel the sun's whispering touch on your body.
a spot on your body. Meeting the sun at that place in this moment.
Focus. Pull all of your attention to where the sun is touching you. Be
the skin on your cheek. Be your skin/hairs on the back of your hand.
Notice what you notice.
- Sense what is happening to your body.
Breathing naturally. Allow your body to shift if it wishes. Breath
evenly. Receive the sun. Surrender to this moment.
- Drink in the
sun as you would take a drink of your favorite beverage. Notice what you notice.
- Notice your body. Use all your senses. What is happening as the sun, it's warmth and
light interacts with your physical body?
- Be in this moment, bathing, breathing, being.
- Rest and receive a drink from the sun.
Mercola, J. "How sunlight can improve your mental health." Mercola.com. Published 08/2008. Web.
Back to Top
Mercola, J. "Why the Sun in Necessary for Optimal Health." Mercola.com. Published 10/2016. Web.
Mind Body Health
Ways to Manage Stress
Lucrezia Mangione is in private practice. She is a board certified licensed professional counselor, board certified telemental health provider, neurofeedback trainer, counselor supervisor, educator, and nurse wellness education consultant. View her profile.